logo

BIRCHINGTON HERITAGE TRUST
GALLERY

Station Road Shops - Postwar
Birchington Library etc c.1950

Birchington Library etc c.1950

There were originally a row of six large blocks of houses like these in Station Road, of which two remain. This was the nearest to the square. At the time of this photo the near side was occupied by Harrison and Young, agricultural machine repairers. The far side was Birchington Library and Margate Corporation Rates Office.
The site is now occupied by the block including Cake Art, the Sense charity shop, Wales butchers and Golden Bridge Chinese takeaway.