logo

BIRCHINGTON HERITAGE TRUST
GALLERY

Minnis Bay - Away from the Sea
'The Prince's House' - 2 Harold Road

'The Prince's House' - 2 Harold Road

This bungalow was, between the wars, owned and occupied by Prince Filippo Andrea VI Doria Pamphili, with his English wife and daughter.
This may seem somewhat surprising, as his other houses included the 1000-room Palazzo Doria on the Via Corso in the centre of Rome.
The palace is still owned by the family, and part is open to the public showing one of the finest private art collections in Italy
The Prince was a staunch anti-fascist, and in 1944 became the first Mayor of Rome follwing the fall of Mussolini.