Somewhere between 1800 and 1832, narrow wings were added to each side of the front of the property and the attic floor was given three pointed window gables instead of two dormers in the roof. The height of the roof appears to have been slightly lowered, but it is also possible that the raising of the front façade may give the impression of a less expansive roof. The rest of the large windows were all kept, with the only other addition being in the new pointed porch, covering the original front door and a stucco rendering finish to the whole building, hiding the warm red brick of the old house. The Friend family continued to live there until about 1852, when the house and farm were put up for sale. In the ‘Smuggler’s’ Restaurant hangs a framed map prepared for this sale.